Recent Comments

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

I think the letters are supposed to evoke the lettering on the bridge. The "C" on caps is based on the Guardian bridge font.

posted by rcade at 08:11 PM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

I do not own any team swag or merch from any US pro or college program or franchise. But I think I'm going to have to get a Guardians shirt or something.

And I didn't know that there was or is a XFL team named the Guardians, which I just found out. As Larry "Bud" Melman used to say, I was unawares.

I decided that the winged logo is not cool. You can't attach such clunky elements to the sides of a smooth, round baseball. It's clumsy and disjointed looking. They just need to work on the block letter and the wings a bit to make them less rigid looking, then it would be OK.

posted by beaverboard at 05:52 PM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

The name's not bad, but naming your team after statues might bring memories of teams like the 1899 Cleveland Spiders (20 - 134) to life. Having players like these guys (list is from 2011) on your roster would truly represent the statue image.

Beaverboard's link is probably similar, but it won't open on my 'phone.

posted by Howard_T at 03:18 PM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

I actually really like the name and I don't recall it ever being on the list of possibilities for any other team naming venture. And it should have been considered.

It's strong, unexpected, and came from out of nowhere from my perspective.

However, I also have to channel and pay tribute to my childhood in acknowledging the new name. When I first heard the new name, I knew nothing of the bridge.

In my mind, I immediately envisioned the starting infield and outfield.

posted by beaverboard at 02:43 PM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

Some Twitter randos are upset that Guardians only makes sense if you know something about the statues in Cleveland. They think a name needs to appeal to people who know nothing.

Which brings me to the Toronto Raptors choosing their name because velociraptors were cool in a movie in 1993. I never thought that would age well.

I do like Kraken though.

posted by rcade at 02:19 PM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

Kudos for Cleveland choosing a name with local resonance and a touch of eccentricity, rather than chasing trends (cf. that hockey team in Seattle).

posted by werty at 01:01 PM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

I was hoping for Spiders but the Guardians name is growing on me. It's not used anywhere else in sports to my knowledge and the statues are amazing.

posted by rcade at 11:54 AM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

Agreed. Plus, the guardians themselves on that bridge. Beautiful!

posted by NoMich at 11:36 AM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

Kind of makes sense and definitely an improvement.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:28 AM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

Watch the video, but ignore the twitter comments

posted by prof at 11:20 AM on July 23

Cleveland Ex-Indians Unveil New Name

Watch the video first if you don't know the name yet.

posted by rcade at 11:02 AM on July 23

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

I adore sports. I have been watching so many sports matches. I try to play football at my college, but studies take a lot of time. But I know the way out. I found the service which can write an article for me

posted by alexasmith at 03:26 AM on July 23

Defending the Worst MLB Trades in History

What broke my older than eight year old heart was running smack into the ESPN + paywall.
Sorry boys, I'm already oversubscribed.

posted by beaverboard at 06:52 PM on July 22

My favorite quote:

"It's easy to go somewhere and go win a championship with somebody else. It's easy. ... I could go to a superteam and just do my part and win a championship.

"But this is the hard way to do it," he added, slapping the podium for emphasis. "And this is the way to do it, and we did it. We fucking did it. We did it, man."

Hoping that LeBron*, Durant, and all the other self appointed rostermeisters heard that one.

*Cleveland LeBron 2.0 gets an exemption because that 2016 title was definitely doing it the hard way. He beat the Warriors with the likes of Smith, Shumpert and Mosgov. That was an all time epic achievement.

posted by beaverboard at 08:06 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The bi-weekly Double Post Support Group meets at the Bojangles on Western Boulevard.

posted by beaverboard at 12:57 PM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The Bucks pulled off the rare elusive feat famously achieved by the 1976-77 Blazers:

Losing the first two games of the Finals, then winning the next four.

Two years ago, the reverse happened to them against the Raptors in the conference finals.

Giannis' rise to the top has been step by step and painful at times. But he is an all time elite force now. If the Bucks had lost Game 6, I can easily picture him being able to close out a Game 7 on the road.

posted by beaverboard at 12:51 PM on July 21

Ugh! *Another* accidental double post

posted by NoMich at 10:03 AM on July 21

Giannis Antetokounmpo Has Reached the NBA's Mountaintop

posted by NoMich at 10:03 AM on July 21

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Nick Saban: QB Bryce Young approaching 'almost seven figures' in NIL deals

posted by NoMich at 04:38 PM on July 20

Yankees Fan Throws Baseball at Red Sox Outfielder

Give the kid a break. Unfortunately he's probably just a product of his upbringing. Maybe give him a chance to meet the guy he threw the ball at.

posted by cixelsyd at 10:38 PM on July 19

Yankees Fan Throws Baseball at Red Sox Outfielder

Recent developments in the story suggest that it was a 16-year-old kid who was taunted/peer-pressured into throwing the ball back by the bleacher creatures around him. He then tossed it back and accidentally hit Verdugo.

posted by grum@work at 08:51 AM on July 19

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Count up to 10 for this moneyman

I see Julius Hodge will never get over Chris Paul punching him in the dick during a game.

posted by NoMich at 07:27 PM on July 18

Yankees Fan Throws Baseball at Red Sox Outfielder

MLB banned him for life.

Did officials also do this to the battery-throwers in Philadelphia back in the day?

posted by werty at 06:53 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

There's Gold In Them Thar Valley

posted by beaverboard at 05:37 PM on July 18

Yankees Fan Throws Baseball at Red Sox Outfielder

That's assault with a weapon, right?

posted by tommybiden at 03:04 PM on July 18

Yankees Fan Throws Baseball at Red Sox Outfielder

Ridiculous

posted by bender at 12:27 PM on July 18

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Wow, my link got absolutely mangled in the cut/paste process.

posted by grum@work at 09:00 AM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Two weeks after the fact, this morsel from the rather overlooked and under reported July 4th Coney Island Hot Dog Eating contest, which was won once again by world record holder Joey Chestnut:

"The Nathan's Famous contest is the crown jewel of the Fourth of July and stands as a beacon of freedom for all those who believe in American exceptionalism," said George Shea of Major League Eating. "Joey Chestnut is a national treasure. The rock on which he stands is not a rock. It is the United States of America."

Please stand for the anthem with your hand over your transverse colon.

posted by beaverboard at 08:46 AM on July 17

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I assume that this is what you were calling our attention to?

posted by NoMich at 11:04 PM on July 16

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

posted by grum@work at 07:03 PM on July 16

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Dang! However, if he was 3 in 2001, it feels like he should 75 now because time has gone by so slowly since we had a kid in 2010

posted by NoMich at 03:54 PM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Do any of you recall the 3-year-old bat boy who was nearly involved in a collision at home plate during the 2001 World Series? His career in baseball continues. This year's all star game featured sons of former major leaguers, and it's nice to see the trend continuing.

posted by Howard_T at 03:08 PM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Where the F was that on?!?!

posted by billsaysthis at 10:26 AM on July 15

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Oh, Richard Sherman! Glad no one has been hurt and I hope he is able to get the help he severely needs.

posted by NoMich at 09:45 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

LOL. First time for me as well. Hilarious.

All apologies to my Pats fans friends here, but Peyton was all of the rest of us that night.

posted by NoMich at 03:15 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Peyton is not the only one who can't handle championship greatness. The TB Lightning had a Buccaneers style wild man boat parade and duly dented the Stanley Cup which now needs repairs.

When Gronk dented a Lombardi Trophy, he effed up an annually replicated, team owned artifact. The Cup is a bit different.

It's always amusing seeing the Cup being carted around in a rolling vault and brought out by suited gentlemen in white gloves knowing that it's just moments away from enduring months of torture at the hands of Phil Kessel and countless others.

posted by beaverboard at 12:19 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

First time for me too. Classic.

posted by Howard_T at 11:33 AM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

How have I never seen this?

posted by yerfatma at 10:26 AM on July 14

BillSaysThis limps over Euro2020 finish line with the win

I love Nay Malone. She's got a real John Cage vibe about her.

posted by NoMich at 09:20 PM on July 12

BillSaysThis limps over Euro2020 finish line with the win

I thought that my name would've ensured victory for me

In some cases, your name alone might have done the trick.

But take heart and remember that Nay Malone is far better than Post Malone. Always and forever.

posted by beaverboard at 09:00 PM on July 12

BillSaysThis limps over Euro2020 finish line with the win

jeez, another ding dang ol' double post

posted by NoMich at 05:34 PM on July 12

BillSaysThis limps over Euro2020 finish line with the win

Congrats!

I thought that my name would've ensured victory for me, but alas...

posted by NoMich at 05:34 PM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The Copa America pitches were uniformly terrible, Beaverboard. Probably hard to avoid when you decide like 10 days ahead of the start to host the tournament in a new country.

Also, Gareth Southgate, what a maroon!

posted by billsaysthis at 11:45 AM on July 12

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I guess my eyes are spoiled at this point. Watching the Copa final, I couldn't help constantly noticing how less tended and underwhelming the Maracana turf looked in comparison to the luxurious pitches of Euro 2020.

posted by beaverboard at 11:35 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

The ruination of sporting historical precedent continues apace.

Neymar had never lost at Maracana. Messi had never won a tournament with his national team.

One bit of continuity has been preserved, however. England only plays in tournament finals when they're held at Wembley. We shall see about the triumphal part of that axiom.

posted by beaverboard at 11:30 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Wall to wall big matches today. Wimbledon, Euro 2020, and NBA finals.

My predictions:
- Djokovic
- England
- Milwaukee

posted by NoMich at 11:07 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

In other "who ya gonna call?" news, Chiefs LB Frank Clark told police that the Uzi they found in his Lamborghini belonged to a member of his security team.

Gisele Bundchen will want to know more about this so called security team and whether or not Clark is a varsity player in the security game, as her long standing armed detail has actually fired their weapons in anger and created an international incident.

posted by beaverboard at 04:53 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I can't watch or read about Wimbledon without thinking about the turf care specialists who tend the courts that we read about in an excellent SpoFi post some days ago.

I'd love to see an article about the turf care that goes on behind the scenes during and after the Masters tournament at Augusta National. I think they virtually rebuild the course after the tournament concludes.

posted by beaverboard at 02:36 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Apparently our newest Wimbledon champion, Ashleigh Barty, is quite the all around athlete as she not only, obviously, excels at tennis, but she is also a former professional cricket player and is a 3 handicap golfer. Oh, and she's only 24.

posted by NoMich at 12:29 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I was able to watch it on my tee vee, bb. I remember seeing both events to choose from on my channel listing. Maybe the truck race was on FS1 and the soccer game was on FS2? I subscribe to Hulu Live TV if that is helpful

posted by NoMich at 10:39 AM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I was hoping to watch the third place Copa America match yesterday, but the Fox Sports channel it was supposed to be shown on was ocupado with a truck race that went beyond its scheduled broadcast time slot. The pop up info thumbnail for the channel said Colombia - Peru but no dice.

Hoping to watch the Copa final tonight. In keeping with the recent SpoFi historical precedent theme, it bears noting that Neymar has never lost a match at Maracana. If you need another themebuster, who ya gonna call? Argentina.

posted by beaverboard at 07:07 AM on July 10

England Reaches First Final Since 1966

Awesome, many thanks for the explanation.

posted by beaverboard at 11:30 AM on July 09

England Reaches First Final Since 1966

And then said: That's 19 tournaments without a final.

England has not qualified for every World Cup since 1966, missing 74, 78, and 94 in the US.
They also have not qualified for every Euro since 1966, missing 72, 76, 84, and 08.
I think the math then works out.

Source

posted by prof at 07:07 PM on July 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Tampa has forever doomed their chances at another Stanley Cup championship. You just don't go around screwing with history like that

posted by NoMich at 02:12 PM on July 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

@grum: rules were made to be broken, amigo.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:21 AM on July 08

England Reaches First Final Since 1966

I don't understand the England major tournament math.

During the match, Ian Darke said that England had not made an international tournament final since 1966.
And then said: That's 19 tournaments without a final.

By my count there have been 13 World Cups since 1966. That leaves 6 other international tournaments to total the 19, presumably including the Euros.

There have surely been more than 6 Euro tournaments since 1966. I haven't gone back and looked to see how many of them England qualified or didn't qualify for.

My best guess is that Darke was only counting forward from the expanded Euro 1996 tournament, which would be six Euro tournaments prior to Euro 2020.

posted by beaverboard at 11:27 PM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

(moved post to England Reaches First Final thread)

posted by beaverboard at 11:24 PM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

England makes a major tournament finale.

The Toronto/Montreal Stanley Cup streak is broken.

I...I just don't know how to handle these momentous historical anomalies...

posted by grum@work at 10:52 PM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Not weird at all, I do the same thing. Except I don't get very far with the rewrite.

Wait, I said you're not weird because I do it. Okay, maybe it's that we're both weird. I'm willing to accept that possible interpretation.

I've been waiting for someone to spontaneously replace "Messi Messi Messi Messi Messi Messi!!!" with "Verdi Verdi Verdi Verdi Verdi Verdi!!!".

It won't be Ray Hudson. I think he's still hung up on Bernini.

posted by beaverboard at 02:11 PM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Am I weird that every time I hear or read his name I sing "Ciro Immobile" to the tune of "La Donna e Mobile" to myself, and I wish someone would rewrite the rest of the song?

posted by bender at 10:53 AM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Not to be outdone by Spain's use of Olmo as a false nine, Italy comfortably employed Chiellini as a true Immobile.

posted by beaverboard at 10:08 AM on July 07

NBA Playoff Pickem, Finals Edition

Damian Lillard is the best player on the court .. even when he isn't on the court.

Ouch. Tells you how closely I follow the NBA.

posted by cixelsyd at 09:49 AM on July 07

NBA Playoff Pickem, Finals Edition

Sorry I didn't check my email until after game time. My bad.

posted by jjzucal at 11:09 PM on July 06

NBA Playoff Pickem, Finals Edition

My picks:

Suns in 7
Top point scorer: D. Booker (PHX)
Top rebounder: D. Ayton (PHX)
Top scoring team: Suns
Game 1 winner: Suns
Series MVP: C. Paul (PHX)
Top technical fouler: PJ Tucker (MIL)
Three-point shooter: D. Booker (PHX)
Winning team points last game: 106

posted by NoMich at 07:14 PM on July 06

NHL Player Killed by Firework in Michigan

From CNN's follow-up article (noting that the party was at Blue Jackets goal coach Manny Legace's house, and part of a larger wedding party for his daughter):

Meier said Tuesday that a fireworks mortar shot over the top of the hot tub where Kivlenieks was sitting. "What occurred was they were lighting off what looks like a nine-shot mortar box," Meier said. "And at one point the box tipped up the final two mortars." Kivlenieks tried to flee, but the final shot appears to have hit him in the chest area, according to Meier.

So it was the damn mortar that hit and killed him? Shit, what an awful, tragic accident.

posted by tahoemoj at 07:07 PM on July 06

NBA Playoff Pickem, Finals Edition

My picks:

Suns in 6
Top point scorer: Lillard
Top rebounder: Ayton
Top scoring team: Suns
Game 1 winner: Suns
Series MVP: Chris Paul
Top technical fouler: JAe Crowder
Three-point shooter: Lillard
Winning team points last game: 112

posted by cixelsyd at 02:16 PM on July 06

NHL Player Killed by Firework in Michigan

God damn, this is a tragic story. Rest in peace, kid.

I'm still trying to visualize exactly what happened here. Even the linked story seems to contradict itself, saying that he died from chest trauma, but also that he hit his head as he fell. So did the mortar hit him in the chest, and then he hit his head? Was the head strike relevant to the cause of death? However it actually unfolded, it sure is a reminder of how fragile life is, even for a 24 year old professional athlete.

posted by tahoemoj at 01:50 PM on July 06

NBA Playoff Pickem, Finals Edition

I blew a giant lead during the regular season pick 'em. Never rule me out for losing.

posted by NoMich at 01:45 PM on July 06

NBA Playoff Pickem, Finals Edition

My picks:

Suns in 6
Top point scorer: Chris Paul
Top rebounder: Deandre Ayton
Top scoring team: Bucks
Game 1 winner: Suns
Series MVP: Chris Paul
Top technical fouler: P.J. Tucker
Three-point shooter: Khris Middleton
Winning team points last game: 123

I'm digging the lack of predictable teams and stars but I wish Giannis was fully healthy. Won't be the same if he misses significant time after game 1.

posted by rcade at 01:00 PM on July 06

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

On this day in 1977, the very first Bojangles opens its doors, forever changing Jake Delhomme's destiny

posted by NoMich at 11:35 AM on July 06

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

I don't want to jinx anything, but the Stanley Cup finals have taken on a whiff of that 2004 ALCS mystique.

"Canadiens, David Ortiz is calling on line 1"

posted by beaverboard at 09:54 AM on July 06

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Habs win game 4.

History.

Is.

Inevitable.

posted by grum@work at 11:51 PM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

SMU's D helmet borrows the City of Dallas logo. I'm a huge fan of that helmet, to the degree that I can be a fan of anything about that school.

One of my favorite memories of going to UNT games is a brawl that began at halftime when we hosted SMU. Half the teams and most of the coaches were throwing haymakers.

posted by rcade at 03:44 PM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Cashman would sign Florida for the Yankees.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:43 AM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I love the red helmet with the white horse of theirs. I actually kinda like the horse inside of the D helmet. It looks like a city flag designed in the 1970s. Hopefully it was introduced with intense synthesizer music and there's really crappy animation of the horse "running"

posted by NoMich at 09:36 AM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I think rcade could support both UNT and SMU and be able to live with himself.

Saying that because SMU is starting to get some top tier talent. If all they ever did was bring in their share of top regional Texas players, they'd be good every year.

And they still have one of the best helmets in the business. Although their alternates with a superimposed "D" are not advisable. If I were the Denver Broncos, I'd sue.

posted by beaverboard at 09:20 AM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Spain first relegated Fla. to EFL League Two (18th Cent. edition)

After reacquiring it, found that there was a toxic clubhouse culture in the western portion, so they included it in a land treaty as a sinkhole to be named later.

Or as an unprotected lottery pick, depending on your outlook.

posted by beaverboard at 09:12 PM on July 04

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

So, they waived Florida?

posted by NoMich at 08:32 PM on July 04

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Florida, on the other hand, was willingly and briskly relinquished by Spain not once but twice.

posted by beaverboard at 06:29 PM on July 04