Recent Comments

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Ian Darke soils his trousers every time England equalizes.

posted by beaverboard at 09:28 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Spain were value for money!

In Miami, once again organizers of a big tournament can't manage getting fans in on time.

posted by billsaysthis at 08:50 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

One Republic, NoMich, who tbh I'm not particularly familiar with.

He's got a pretty impressive list of production credits to boot. Must be some kind of life.

posted by Ufez Jones at 06:43 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Good day to be a sports fan if you speak Spanish. The young Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz takes out Djokovic in straight sets to win the Wimbledon championship, then Spain wins Euro 24, and later on tonight a Spanish speaking country will win tonight's Copa America championship.

posted by NoMich at 05:44 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

What band is that?

posted by NoMich at 05:43 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

That the kid I cracked jokes with in 4th and 5th grades turned out to be the lead singer of a band large enough to play events like the Opening Ceremony of the Euro Final will forever trip me out . Good on ya, Ryan T.

Fairly entertaining chess match so far. Plenty of movement up and down the field. I feel like Spain is gonna cash one of those corners in eventually, though.

posted by Ufez Jones at 03:47 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I told the doctor that the swelling above the bridge of my nose wasn't a hematoma, it was a eurocopa.

posted by beaverboard at 02:32 PM on July 14

Alouettes by 9 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 3 (lock)
Roughriders by 6
Elks by 6 (lock)

posted by ic23b at 01:59 PM on July 11

Gregg Berhalter Fired After USMNT Copa Flop

He had to go but the better question is why was he rehired. Getting lucky with horrible weather/playing conditions against Canada in March covered for poor coaching.

posted by billsaysthis at 12:55 PM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Colombia v Uruguay was intense but for my money Brazil v Uruguay in the previous round was more intense and a better match. The ref yesterday was too inconsistent and Uruguay were far too wasteful.

posted by billsaysthis at 12:52 PM on July 11

CFL Pickem Week 6: Salute to Percy

Argonauts by 5
Blue Bombers by 10 (lock)
Lions by 14 (lock)
Redblacks by 5

posted by tommybiden at 12:00 PM on July 11

CFL Pickem Week 6: Salute to Percy

"I brew the best darn beer I can, John Molson used to say, and 6 (likely 8 since this jingle) generations of Molson men say the same to this very day, Molson, Molson, Mooolllssssooon"

posted by tommybiden at 11:56 AM on July 11

CFL Pickem Week 6: Salute to Percy

Alouettes by 9 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 6 (lock)
Lions by 10 (lock)
Elks by 6 (lock)

Molson Golden was my beer in college. Now I drink IPAs and the occasional kettle sour. Lock 'em all!

posted by rcade at 11:33 AM on July 11

CFL Pickem Week 6: Salute to Percy

Current Standings

posted by rcade at 11:13 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

On July 9, 1969, as a young teen, I watched the Mets' Tom Seaver toss a one hitter against the Cubs. He had a perfect game going until one out in the ninth. It was one of the most intense sporting events I've even seen.

Last night, July 10th, 55 years and 1 day later, I watched Colombia v. Uruguay in the Copa America. It matched the Seaver one hitter in its intensity and drama. What a remarkable match.

posted by beaverboard at 10:25 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Guardians Announcer Roasted Javier Baez for Thinking Hit-By-Pitch Was Intentional

posted by tommybiden at 05:51 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

England through on a dynamic 90th minute goal from the run of play? Via a clever substitution?

I couldn't believe it. Earlier, unable to watch the first half, I was told that England were level.

My question was simple: "Penalty or set piece?"

Well on to tonight and then to Sunday.

posted by beaverboard at 05:49 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Former Quebec junior hockey players jailed for sex assault

posted by tommybiden at 02:55 PM on July 10

NBA Playoff Pickem Champion: ic23b

Thanks for another fun post-season, rcade, and a well done, ic23b. Win lose or draw, it's always a good time. My Celtics fandom over the past few years has become a frequent topic of conversation at church. I was scheduled to preach the sermon on June 30, and of course I waited until late to write it. I couldn't resist working the Celtics into it. To my surprise it went well. It's on YouTube if anyone is bored enough to spend 12 1/2 minutes.

posted by Howard_T at 02:06 PM on July 10

NBA Playoff Pickem Champion: ic23b

Down with the ship!

Congrats, ic23b, and to Howard and the rest of the Celtics fans too (I suppose).

posted by Ufez Jones at 12:41 PM on July 10

NBA Playoff Pickem Champion: ic23b

Thanks rcade for putting on these fun pickem contests.

posted by ic23b at 10:03 AM on July 10

Cyclist Fined for Kissing Wife During Tour de France Time Trial

Or, when you have a chance to enjoy yourself, it shouldn't be a time trial.

posted by beaverboard at 11:27 AM on July 06

Cyclist Fined for Kissing Wife During Tour de France Time Trial

Video of the kiss and another where cyclist Magnus Cort turns himself in for the same offense.

posted by rcade at 10:08 AM on July 06

Fuelling the Tour de France: Secrets of the team kitchens

Sort of reminds me of the trajectory of pitch maintenance in the elite European football leagues. Fine tuning the object of their obsession right down to the individual blade of grass. Yeah, the crew chief is over there on that tractor. He's got a Master's degree in soil science.

And if you want a degree like that in this country, one of the best places to earn it is good old NC State University. Bojangle up and Mich on.

posted by beaverboard at 11:32 PM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Today is one of those days that working from home really shines. Both of today's Euro Quarterfinals matches should be pretty fun.

posted by Ufez Jones at 11:50 AM on July 05

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

So you're predicting that the Celtics will not start cheaping out on the lineup? Jaylen Brown aside. Tatum will probably get paid more than that.

posted by NoMich at 09:06 AM on July 05

Fuelling the Tour de France: Secrets of the team kitchens

Redegeld predicts the nutrition evolution will continue, suggesting that within a decade or so teams will employ DNA analysis to take rider fuelling personalisation to the next level.

Jeez. Just how much money is in bicycle racing?

posted by NoMich at 09:04 AM on July 05

CFL Pickem Week 5: Streveler Time

Argonauts by 7 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 10 (lock)
Alouettes by 4
Lions by 7 (lock)

posted by scooby10672 at 05:45 PM on July 04

CFL Pickem Week 5: Streveler Time

Roughriders by 3
Blue Bombers by 10 (lock)
Alouettes by 12 (lock)
Lions by 6 (lock)

posted by ic23b at 02:01 PM on July 04

CFL Pickem Week 5: Streveler Time

Argonauts by 14 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 14 (lock)
Alouettes by 12 (lock)
Lions by 13 (lock)

Do the opposite! Locking down the Costanza early.

posted by tommybiden at 01:47 PM on July 04

CFL Pickem Week 5: Streveler Time

Roughriders by 5 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 10 (lock)
Alouettes by 6 (lock)
Lions by 3 (lock)

posted by jagsnumberone at 12:08 PM on July 04

Kyle Filipowski Drafted By Utah Jazz After His Brother Says He Was Groomed By Mormon Culture

I am not finding the idea of a 20-year-old dating a 27-year-old weird or suspicious. They began dating when he was 18.

Same for him cutting off his family. If my brother and mom kept calling my girlfriend a "groomer" I'd be pissed at them too.

posted by rcade at 11:12 AM on July 04

CFL Pickem Week 5: Streveler Time

Argonauts by 3
Blue Bombers by 3
Alouettes by 14 (lock)
Lions by 17 (lock)

The Blue Bombers are killing my score. I've only picked them to lose once so far.

posted by rcade at 11:00 AM on July 04

CFL Pickem Week 5: Streveler Time

Current Standings

Since today is a holiday and some people might miss this post, if any player doesn't pick tonight's game it won't count in the pickem.

posted by rcade at 10:58 AM on July 04

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

About time this season ticket member weighed in on the pending sale of the Celtics. I'm on vacation (like I really need one since I'm retired) up here in the White Mountains of NH. We come up here often, and it's a very beautiful and peaceful spot.

Now, about the Celtics: First of all, Wyc (short for Wycliffe, if you must) Grousbeck is selling only the part of the Celtics that belongs directly to him and his father. The rest of the minority owners' shares are not being sold unless they want to opt in on the deal. Steve Pagliuca, the Managing General Partner and co-owner of the Celtics has said that he will retain his interest and along with some of the other owners will take an active part in the bidding for the Grousbeck shares. Pagliuca is the leader of a group of investors who purchased the Italian Serie A football club Atalanta. He has said that he shares Grousbeck's commitment to keeping the Celtics a winning and championship team.

A number of other possible buyers has been put forward. John Henry's Fenway Sports Group is one. This is the lest desirable among the fans, who look at Henry's recent penny-pinching ways with the Red Sox and fear what he might do to the Celtics. An intriguing possibility would have the Wynn Casino group purchasing the team and moving them to a proposed new arena located near the Wynn Encore Hotel and Casino. Encore is in Everett, MA, just 4 stops on the MBTA Orange Line from North Station and TD Garden. The Celtics lease with Delaware North, owned by the Jacobs family who also own the Boston Bruins of the NHL, was recently renewed to run through 2036. Having their own arena would contribute greatly to the financial health of the team. A few other names put forward were Robert Kraft of Patriots fame, and Tom Brady. Kraft could probably handle the deal financially, but he has made no public comment. Brady would have to come up with a group to handle something this big.

Grousbeck says that the sale would not be complete until 2028, and that it is being done for the purpose of estate planning. I can understand how that might take 4 years. Our family just went through the planning of our modest chunk of change, and the process with a good lawyer took about 4 months.

posted by Howard_T at 09:33 PM on July 03

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

maybe they lose money they way hit Hollywood movies "lose" money

posted by kokaku at 08:45 AM on July 03

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

losing money can only mean mismanagement. the price of everything related to team is so high, it's a crime to lose money!! but here in Belgium it's very different, our basketball is so weak it's hardly makin any money cheers The Belgian Florist, Brussels

posted by belgium at 07:49 PM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Agree, NoMich. Salary cap is a percentage of revenues so it shouldn't cause losses.

posted by billsaysthis at 02:52 PM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I appreciate the lively discussions on SportsFilter's Wednesday Huddle. Engaging with fellow sports enthusiasts about recent games and wedding confetti player performances enriches my understanding of various sports. The community's insights and debates are invaluable, making every Wednesday an exciting opportunity to share and expand my sports knowledge.

posted by IvyMichael at 04:30 AM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

I don't understand how a good NBA franchise can lose money. I know that player salaries are exorbitant, but so are the media rights deals, game tickets, concession prices, parking prices, swag prices.

posted by NoMich at 08:57 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

NHL reinstates Bowman, Quenneville, MacIsaac after ban for mishandling Chicago Blackhawks sex assault scandal

posted by tommybiden at 07:32 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Interesting that Celtics owner Grousbeck had gone on the record saying that operating the team at a loss was not a concern and also said that ownership would get paid in parades, not profits.

Now he's had a parade and wants out.

To let someone else bear the brunt of operating the franchise perhaps (the 2024-25 salary cap was set a day or two ago and they gave Jayson Tatum a record extension earlier today).

And while the asking price for his controlling stake is at a premium in the afterglow of the title.

posted by beaverboard at 07:30 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Paging @BeaverBoard: Boston Celtics ownership group plans to sell majority stake

posted by billsaysthis at 05:44 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

A magazine feature on Tepper that was published a while back. It's well traveled. Mina Kimes and others have referenced it.

posted by beaverboard at 02:25 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

74 signings already worth $819 million in contractual dollars in 90 minutes of NHL free agency.

posted by NoMich at 01:37 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Where is this quote from?

posted by billsaysthis at 12:51 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Happy Canada Day, eh?!?!

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day to all who celebrate!!

posted by tommybiden at 09:59 AM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Maybe it's better to take the Texas Rangers' approach and just build a new ballpark every few years.

posted by beaverboard at 05:59 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

The Charlotte city council approved $800 million for the stadium this past Monday

posted by NoMich at 04:17 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Under the policy document, the city will pay $650 million toward the renovation of Bank of America Stadium in return for Panthers owner David Tepper keeping the team in Charlotte through 2045. Tepper will pay the remaining $150 million up front.

Tepper already has invested more than $117 million in stadium upgrades and also has agreed to another estimated $421 million in potential overages for capital improvements over the term of the deal.

posted by NoMich at 04:16 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Actually, isn't the Panthers stadium also up for renovations? I didn't look at the plans and costs on that one.

posted by beaverboard at 03:46 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

When you've been payed extremely well for years and your net worth is beyond the definition of "comfortable", you can take Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper's words of wisdom to heart.

In addition to an increase in profile, the trade netted Tepper a personal payday of nearly $4 billion, more money than he...literally knows what to do with. "What do you think I should do with it?" he asked me. "I could buy an island. I could buy a private jet... I could get myself a 22-year-old!

posted by beaverboard at 03:00 PM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

They could always go the David Te(m)pper route and claim it as a societal good because they can book more concerts with that stadium.

posted by NoMich at 10:51 AM on June 30

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

Jacksonville approved $775 million to upgrade the Jaguars' stadium, fans will still never get more than 7 or 8 home games a season because of the London agreement, and they'll have to go to Orlando to see home games in 2027?

There must be a pony in there somewhere.

posted by beaverboard at 10:38 PM on June 29

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

It's great to see Kristina Costabile's bold pick for the Argonauts, and I agree with her. Toronto's offense should prevail over the Alouettes' defense. Also, rooting for Winnipeg and Zach Collaros! PM Kisan Status

posted by Rinku12 at 02:48 AM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

This is hilarious: X's (formerly Twitter) AI platform badly fooled by Bronny James memes about his parents. But to be fair to this AI, LeBron still hasn't denied having sexual relationships with new teammate, Bronny James' mother.

posted by NoMich at 01:59 PM on June 28

Wow, that's quite a story. I was disappointed the Raptors didn't scoop him with the 31st pick, not so much now.

posted by tommybiden at 12:52 PM on June 28

This is some story. I'd like to know if there's an Ainge factor in all this. I can envision Danny operating as a latter day puppeteer behind the scenes to secure his devalued prize.

A big thank you to Kyle's GF Caitlin who is finally giving the US a Caitlin worth questioning and taking some of the bogus heat off of Caitlin Clark.

I'm ready to ask Dennis Rodman to come out of retirement.

posted by beaverboard at 11:03 AM on June 28

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

(rcade, the current standings are just a 2nd option to make picks)...Scroll down the standings are there.

Ah, ic now, ic23b!

On that note, I'd like the standings to just go away.

posted by tommybiden at 09:20 AM on June 28

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

Alouettes by 7 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 10 (lock)
Redblacks by 4 (lock)

posted by scooby10672 at 12:54 AM on June 28

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

posted by ic23b at 11:36 PM on June 27

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

rcade, the current standings are just a 2nd option to make picks.

posted by tommybiden at 05:32 PM on June 27

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

Lions by 7 (lock)
Alouettes by 3
Blue Bombers by 3
Redblacks by 3

posted by ic23b at 03:42 PM on June 27

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

Lions by 16 (lock)
Argonauts by 7
Blue Bombers by 11 (lock)
Tiger-Cats by 9

posted by tommybiden at 02:57 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

"When you're lucky enough to have a very, very big salary, when you are a multi-millionaire ... then I'm a little embarrassed to see these athletes ... give lessons to people who can no longer make ends meet, who no longer feel safe, who do not have the chance to live in neighborhoods overprotected by security agents," he said.

So, just shut up and dribble? Go away, sad li'l wingnut.

posted by NoMich at 02:54 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Of the top 6 taken in last night's draft, 3 are from France, including the first 2 picks, and only 2 from the college ranks.

Half-tuning into the draft coverage last night, it sounds like this isn't just going to be a one-off thing either. There is apparently a large pool of talent emerging in France. This class will serve as an interesting experiment in how NBA-ready that talent actually is (Wemby doesn't count, ofc).

I'd like to think this also serves as a slight tip in the favor of sanity in the ongoing public back and forth between Mbappe/Thuram and the right-wing National Rally Party, but I have no idea if the NBA draft really registers for the public over there, especially in the middle of Euro 2024.

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:25 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

My favorite scenario is the one where Boston, who picks just before the Lakers, scoops him up and fleeces the Busses out of an extra future pick or two just for shits and giggles. The resulting chess match would be pretty fascinating.

posted by Ufez Jones at 01:07 PM on June 27

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

Lions by 13 (lock)
Argonauts by 3 (lock)
Blue Bombers by 3 (lock)
Redblacks by 6 (lock)

posted by jagsnumberone at 01:07 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Will Bronny fall through the draft? Or will the Lakers use their second round pick to save face for Lebron?

I don't think anyone else wants him and yes, I see the Lakers burning a 2nd rounder on him.

posted by NoMich at 12:52 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Of the top 6 taken in last night's draft, 3 are from France

I love how international our US pro leagues have become (need a few more ruggers and others in the NFL).

To me, the telling comment on the NBA came from someone (perhaps at the Athletic) who said during the recent playoffs that Anthony Edwards "wants to be the next great American player".

We're well into the stage where that sort of qualifying remark has become part of the running dialogue.

posted by beaverboard at 12:52 PM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

posted by billsaysthis at 12:13 PM on June 27

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

Lions by 10 (lock)
Argonauts by 3
Blue Bombers by 3
Redblacks by 7

Kristina Costabile is the only expert on CFL.ca picking the Argonauts to beat the Alouettes. Make that two experts: I'm going with the big offense over the big defense and some revenge for Toronto. I also like Winnipeg to finally get a W and Zach Collaros to get his first touchdown pass of 2024.

posted by rcade at 10:19 AM on June 27

CFL Pickem Week 4: Montreal is Rolling

Current Standings

posted by rcade at 10:05 AM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

posted by NoMich at 09:30 AM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Somewhere in Eastern Oklahoma, former Grizz Center Bryant "Big Country" Reeves is smiling contently thinking "This...this is my legacy".

posted by Ufez Jones at 09:14 AM on June 27

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Not sure what to make of reports that the Memphis Grizzlies branding and design team referred to Zach Edey as the new face of the franchise.

posted by beaverboard at 08:16 AM on June 27

Florida Panthers Win Stanley Cup

Big month for Chaminade College Prep School out in the Western STL Suburbs, where Jayson Tatum and Matthew Tkachuk were once classmates.

posted by Ufez Jones at 06:27 PM on June 25

Florida Panthers Win Stanley Cup

In all seriousness, this is a hell of an outcome for the Panthers since they spent March seemingly setting up April tee times.

posted by NoMich at 01:07 PM on June 25

Florida Panthers Win Stanley Cup

Congratuations to Corey Perry for being on the losing Stanley Cup Finals teams 4 out of the last 5 years.

posted by NoMich at 12:01 PM on June 25

Florida Panthers Win Stanley Cup

It's been a while since I watched hockey consistently, although I do enjoy it and tune in occasionally. I've noticed this year that players tend to pin the puck against the boards more to waste time. The refs rarely call for a face-off. This was really noticable right at the end of game 7, when one of the Panthers was practially lying on the puck. Did I miss a rule change somewhere along the way?

Oh, and also my husband would want me to put in a plug for our local Kansas City Mavericks (ECHL), for which Carter Verhaeghe played. Local boy does good!

Congrats to the Panthers!

posted by Law5section2 at 09:55 AM on June 25

Florida Panthers Win Stanley Cup

It was a very entertaining and worthy game 7, though the last minute fell a bit flat from what could have been. (and what had been for the several minutes prior) As Skinner skated off the ice for the man advantage, the rest of the skaters looked on wondering if they could be subbed off, too.

posted by bender at 12:10 AM on June 25