Recent Comments

Op-Ed: 'The Texas Rangers Team Name Must Go'

I accidentally deleted a real comment while squashing a spammer. I'm recreating it from memory as best I can:

Something something Rangers something something Padres.

Posted by someone.

posted by rcade at 08:54 AM on July 16

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Cam is saying that the Panthers cut him via a text message. /headdesk

posted by NoMich at 03:16 PM on July 15

Op-Ed: 'The Texas Rangers Team Name Must Go'

She is qualified to speak to that particular concern. I am not.

But I will say that if such a change is going to be made, given the sins that my fellow Catholics at the Vatican and elsewhere have foisted on humanity since well before the printed word, the New Orleans Saints ought to be at the front of the cleansing line.

posted by beaverboard at 10:04 PM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

His first girlfriend. Not the one who completed him.

posted by rcade at 11:48 AM on July 14

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Renee Zellweger seems pretty alive to me?

posted by LionIndex at 08:04 AM on July 14

The Washington Redskins

I hope that Snyder realizes that this is not bitter medicine, but a fabulous set of opportunities in the making. If his marketing /branding team gets this right, he'll be swimming in revenue, possibilities, partnerships, and positive momentum.

The Ravens are fortunate. They already named their team in reference to Poe the anointed prince of darkness, so even if they decided to rename the team the Ray Rice Elevator Sluggers, it would seem like a tepid step down.

Meanwhile, somewhere in God knows where - Kentucky, Arkansas, Idaho? - someone is setting up a warehouse to sell tons of good old Washington NFL football merchandise to the defiant and unconverted.

posted by beaverboard at 09:41 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

Washington Pork Belly Projects - the Hogs cheering section makes more sense than ever.

posted by LionIndex at 08:48 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

SportsFilter cofounder Oliver Willis is a huge Washington fan. He weighs in on Twitter. I was wondering whether he had come around to supporting a name change.

posted by rcade at 06:17 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

I just want to put this out there: Chairboys.

posted by billsaysthis at 05:43 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

I heard "Radskins" on the Dan LeBatard show this morning and I kind of want it. Have a skateboard on the helmet or something.

posted by LionIndex at 04:18 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

The NFL already has Seahawks, do they really want Redtail-Hawks, or RedHawks?

posted by tommytrump at 04:15 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

My comments on prospective names:

Monuments: Perhaps the most fitting for a slow-moving team.

Veterans: Good only if all players have been in the league for some years. It may also draw criticism from some veterans groups who rightly claim that a bunch of overpaid football players have never served their country.

Renegades Gridiron Football: Far too long to fit on a jersey.

Redtails: Not bad, and it offers the possibility of an interesting uniform variation for the pants.

Red-tailed Hawks: Too species specific. Supporters of Broad Tail, Cooper's, Sharp Shinned, and especially Red Shouldered Hawks might object. Don't all hawks matter?

Americans: There are many nations in the continents of North, South, and Central America. Why should a team in the United States claim this name?

Warriors: Aside from its use in the NBA and who knows how many high school and rec league teams, this name too has some questionable Native American connotations.

Since the sentiment to rename the Washington team has been successful, I want to have the New England football team renamed. It was so-called Patriots who took my great-great-great grandfather and forced him into a militia group. When he objected and tried to leave, he was wounded and jailed. Once he was released, he tried to resume his life as a peaceful farmer and businessman, but New York declared him an outlaw, seized all of his property, and forced him and his family to flee to Nova Scotia. These were the same people who claimed to promote the rights of all. To me the name Patriots represents oppression and hypocrisy. (OK, If any of you think I am serious in any of the above, please understand that it is all said in jest. If any are offended please accept my apology.)

posted by Howard_T at 03:27 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

"Washington Warriors" my favorite, but unfortunately Golden State has the name.

There is an extensive history of shared/re-used franchise nicknames in North America.

There are quite a few that currently being shared at this moment:

Cardinals - Arizona (football), St. Louis (baseball)

Giants - San Francisco (baseball), New York (football)

Jets - New York (football), Winnipeg (hockey)

Kings - Los Angeles (hockey), Sacramento (basketball)

Lions - Detroit (football), British Columbia (Canadian football)

Panthers - Florida (hockey), Carolina (football)

Rangers - New York (hockey), Texas (baseball)

posted by grum@work at 02:44 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

"Washington Warriors" my favorite, but unfortunately Golden State has the name. "Senators" would be an alright name, but is used by a hockey team.

Redtails is a good suggestion, but I didn't know about the African-American connection until this thread... Tough spot.

posted by FLsportsman at 02:21 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

rcade, I was thinking the same thing about Redtails. I understand why it's different from the previous name, but do you really want to have to continually field questions like "How is [name redacted] offensive to Native Americans, but Redtails isn't offensive to African-Americans?" by people who never wanted it changed in the first place? That's an answerable question, but save yourself the hassle and go with something else.

posted by bender at 01:39 PM on July 13

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

RIP Jerry Maguire's girlfriend, commanding lioness of darkened rooms.

posted by beaverboard at 01:37 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

I would suggest Redhawks rather than Redtails for reasons previously elucidated. The tails thing becomes problematic.

Or they can go with the Washington Stonewall Jacksons if they want to see the president do a reverse somersault with 2 1/2 twists off the White House balcony in a state of sheer ecstasy.

posted by beaverboard at 01:34 PM on July 13

The Washington All Caps. In reference to Snyder's comment:

"We'll never change the name. It's that simple. NEVER " you can use all caps."

posted by beaverboard at 01:28 PM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

I liked Americans as a replacement but it would still be received as a subtle reference to Native Americans, which wouldn't fully remove the problem of using Native Americans as a sports mascot.

Redtails is the runaway favorite on Twitter and looks great in the helmet and logo mockups somebody designed, but I wonder if the implicit reference to African-Americans through the Tuskegee Airmen is also inviting future problems.

I feel like Red Wolves or some other name that doesn't have these concerns is going to prevail. Washington, the NFL and NFL corporate sponsors are all going to be extremely risk averse about this change.

posted by rcade at 11:10 AM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

Washington Americans would be my pick

posted by tron7 at 10:37 AM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

Reserving the names is a simple task. It's getting the team to qualify as a legitimate source of entertainment that's the challenge.

posted by beaverboard at 10:08 AM on July 13

Washington Rogerses
Washington Rural Jurors

posted by NoMich at 09:16 AM on July 13

The Washington Redskins

Someone has applied for a bunch of names back in June and early July for future use in the entertainment in the nature of football games. [Reddit comment]

Washington Monuments

Washington Veterans

Washington Renegades Gridiron Football

Washington Redtails

Washington Red-Tailed Hawks

Washington Americans

Washington Warriors

posted by grum@work at 08:46 AM on July 13

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Few people would miss their child's birth for a job.

I was a civilian contractor in USS MIDWAY, homeported in Japan, in 1989. My contract was due to expire on 1 April, and my wife was due to have our son around mid to late April. She went back to the USA in January, just before we went to sea on a cruise, because she couldn't fly trans-Pacific in her 3rd trimester. I was relieved and left the ship in Hong Kong on 1 April, and flew home, arriving on the 3rd. Our son arrived on the 9th. Not quite a complete miss, but my Lamaze classes were pretty brief.

Because of subsequent travel there was a number of significant events in our son's life that I missed. It was not good, and it put a burden on my wife, but we got through it. My work could be considered a bit more important than running around on a field or in an arena, but that's my opinion. The stuff I worked on was defense related, and in a small way it helped our military stay a step or 2 ahead. There were a few times when I could have gotten my young backside killed, but my employer had me heavily insured, and my wife will never admit that she was not counting the settlement money. Since I have retired, and for a few years prior to retirement, I was able to be at home most of the time. Our son is now 31, living about 50 miles away, and we see him often. We frequently attend the Celtics games together, and what was past has been forgiven. So the lesson is that one can be forgiven for nearly anything, but forgiving oneself is very difficult.

posted by Howard_T at 05:43 PM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Hanging everything on it being a JOB is what struck me as well. We have regulatory standards for workplaces that are normally hazardous, like OSHA, but now pretty much any job is hazardous and I don't mind employees deciding that the proposed safety regulations don't quite cut it.

posted by LionIndex at 04:33 PM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Because that's what it is. A job.

There's an implicit assumption here that if something is a "job" you must do it, no matter what sacrifices you and your family must make. But that's not the assumption anyone makes about their own job. People decide how far they're willing to sacrifice. That's true of common people just as much as millionaire athletes.

Few people would miss their child's birth for a job.

posted by rcade at 11:38 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Finnish is in an entirely different language group to the other Nordic/Germanic and even Indo-European languages. It sits in it's own family, Uralic, along with Estonian, Hungarian, the Sami languages and some indigenous languages of Siberia. And yes, it is hard!

posted by owlhouse at 01:33 AM on July 11

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Danny Ainge's hand would have to be quarantined

I believe a rabies shot was sufficient.

posted by Howard_T at 02:48 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

I'd like to know more about how Steve Fisher figured into all that. He was usually portrayed in the media as a good guy. And sportcasters seemed pleased when he took several SDSU teams to the tournament after getting the boot from Michigan.

But even before the Fab Five, he had to deal with the championship team he inherited from Bill Frieder on short notice that included Rumeal Robinson, who turned out to be an unsavory character as a pro. And also Glen Rice, the future acknowledged paramour of Sarah Palin*.

I'd also like to learn more about the Fab Five's legendary introduction of the baggy shorts. Maybe have to read the Mitch Albom book about those guys.

* Palin: "One of the most important things that we have to engage is unleashing our domestic energy opportunities. It comes down to "drill, baby, drill..."

posted by beaverboard at 02:17 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

If the NBA had players like Tree Rollins, Laimbeer, and Ron Artest on current rosters, they'd probably have to scrap the season. Things would just be too unpredictable. And Danny Ainge's hand would have to be quarantined after Rollins bit down on it.

posted by beaverboard at 01:46 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

This is a bit misleading in that it implies the players had been in the bubble for several weeks. Not so. Later in the article it says:

"However, one player tested positive upon arrival at the Swan and Dolphin Hotel and another eight followed suit in subsequent days. Though the timeline suggests the virus was contracted in Tennessee, it appears to have spread in Florida."

This is said not to argue, but to add some information and to lead me to some questions that others might answer. How long had the Nashville team been in Orlando? If it had been less than a week, all of the players could have contracted the virus in Nashville. If they had been in Orlando longer than the incubation time for the virus, then, yes, there is a problem. I am not familiar with the MLS quarantine procedures, so I will not judge.

In the NBA testing has been conducted on a regular and frequent basis at the various practice facilities in order that teams reporting to Orlando have a high probability of being virus free. I just watched a webinar featuring 2 of the Celtics principal owners, one of whom is going to Orlando. He was tested yesterday so that he would be clear to enter the bubble on Monday. Another interesting thing is that teams are reporting to Orlando in 3 slots. This is to minimize contact between the teams prior to the beginning of games. In Orlando teams will be tested frequently (I seem to remember daily testing, but it might be every other day or so) to avoid the spread if there is a positive. My point is that the NBA seems to be doing things right, and they might very well succeed in finishing the season.

posted by Howard_T at 01:39 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Friday Huddle

Has anyone read this book yet? Sounds very interesting.

The Booster: How Ed Martin, The Fab Five and the Ballers from the hood Exposed the Hypocrisy of a Billion-Dollar Industry - Carl Martin

"Martin, the son of former Michigan booster Ed Martin, shares his unique perspective on the The Fab Five, one of the most famous and complex groups college basketball has ever seen. The book explores the big business machine of college basketball, the NCAA, exploitation and amateur sports in general.

But it also provides insight into Ed Martin's relationship with the Michigan basketball program that really can't be found anywhere else."

posted by NoMich at 12:16 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

If sports are going to happen and there is contact between players, then a mask or a full face shield has to be utilized. This bubble scenario is nothing but a pipedream so full precautions have to be utilized.

I brought the idea of hockey players using a full face shield helmet like the youngsters use, but I guess the peripheral vision is heavily skewed with those things, making NHL players more vulnerable to getting trucked from the side by a dude they couldn't see coming because of the skewed vision. If that's the case, then they shouldn't be playing the games because you cannot 100% guarantee that the bubble won't be compromised at some point during the season. Same goes for football. Especially football.

posted by NoMich at 12:14 PM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Howard, not sure I can agree after seeing what's happening with MLS in Orlando and their bubble. Nasville SC had to withdraw from the tournament: The club reported nine players " about a third of the roster " had tested positive for the novel coronavirus since they arrived at a Disney resort, where all 26 teams are staying in a so-called bubble for several weeks.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:09 AM on July 10

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

It's not just the rules, Howard. Picture being the plate umpire and getting into a major argument with a manager. In Finnish. It's probably the hardest of the Nordic languages. It doesn't seem to have the semi-connectivity that Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian do.

posted by beaverboard at 09:23 PM on July 09

Dumbest take ever?

Not quite, but or getting close. I can cite a couple of examples from the Boston Celtics as they begin the restart in Orlando. First is Gordon Hayward whose wife is expecting their first boy (they have 3 daughters) while the games are being played. Hayward plans to leave Orlando to be with his wife and family for the birth. The second is Jason Tatum whose son Deuce is 2 1/2 years old. Tatum thought long and hard about not playing because he wanted to be with his son during this time of his life. In either case there is some sacrifice involved.

The take is not entirely dumb. If quarantine at the site of the games is strictly enforced, the testing regimen should ensure that all present will not have the virus. Thus, those who leave the venue can be very confident that they are healthy. When someone leaves and returns, testing and some period of separation should maintain the quarantine integrity. What I have written is true for the NBA and NHL. MLB and NFL are another story. For those leagues any player with half a brain would stay home. Those teams will be traveling with no way to quarantine or determine exposure to the virus. They are a disaster looking for a place to happen.

So make it a split decision. For the NBA & NHL, the precautions should be sufficient. Report and play unless there is an overriding concern. For MLB & NFL, this guy is dead wrong. You get paid to play and risk injuries that are part of the game. You are not paid to risk your health and the health of your family. Players in those leagues have every reason to stay home.

posted by Howard_T at 06:23 PM on July 09

Dumbest take ever?

None of the players who have chosen to extend their vacation has been deemed high-risk, but most cite protecting people with whom they live. There's a solution to that.

Move out.

You might miss a birth, or the first few weeks of your kid's life, or back-to-school 2020. But you will be protected, and you will be tested, and you will be doing your job.

Because that's what it is. A job. Players were hired to comprise a team with the goal of winning a championship, no matter how asterisked the season becomes. These players were hired to display their skills and drive an industry.

posted by grum@work at 05:32 PM on July 09

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

I would not want to be required to memorize the rule book for this game. MLB rules and high school rules (they're different, but not greatly so) are bad enough, but Finnish baseball looks crazy.

posted by Howard_T at 10:11 PM on July 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

You know what you need in your life? Jomboy discovering Finnish baseball. Hyv Suomi

posted by NoMich at 04:15 PM on July 08

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Josh McCown tweeted to Mahomes that he is going to miss out on a lot of frequent flier miles for deciding to take a 10 year deal over 10 one year deals. LOL

posted by FLsportsman at 03:20 PM on July 08

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

Boston Red Sox Mitch Moreland contemplates a new career in dental surgery.

posted by Howard_T at 02:16 PM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

That sounds like a ton of money but reading the second link shows that in relative terms it isn't. (Of course I would take any one year of that money and run to a tropical island, which is why I said in relative terms...) Anyway, nice to see a star contract getting done without so much fuss or use of a franchise tag.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:23 AM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

LOL

Sir Patrick Mahomes the Second has signed a 10 year extension with Kansas City and you probably have questions. Here are some answers.

posted by NoMich at 10:32 AM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Tuesday Huddle

These COVID masks are raising hell with the facial recognition software on my new smart toilet.

posted by beaverboard at 09:39 AM on July 07

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

The concern is that the name is bound to be shortened to "The Tails", and it won't take long for that to conjure up a sea of references to congressional and executive naughty business, from Nan Britton to Marilyn Monroe to the firm of Daniels, McDougal, Carroll, Holvey and Leeds (acting on behalf of numerous others).

Oops, that reminds me, didn't mean to leave the judicial branch out of it.

posted by beaverboard at 06:23 PM on July 04

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

I remember someone around here suggesting the name change to the Red Tails, which would be perfect. That name now has support from at least one Washington football player.

posted by NoMich at 03:39 PM on July 04

SportsFilter: The Saturday Huddle

From the Money Rules Above All Desk:

The coming Washington NFL team name change is partly being caused by a hefty projected loss of revenue if Daniel Snyder were to continue to refuse to change the name.

But also, the merchandise light bulb went on:

1) If they do a good job with the name change and uniform design, they are going to sell a ton of the new team gear.

2) They are also going to sell a ton of the old gear to die hard fans who liked things the way they were. One way or another, the old stuff will remain available for a long time to come.

What's the team going to wear for Throwback games?

Memo to Snyder: When renaming the team, you have got to do better than "Wizards". That name still feels like it was lifted from Marques Haynes and the Fabulous Magicians.

posted by beaverboard at 02:18 PM on July 04

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

When I was in high school in the early 70's (in the US), just Canuck by itself with no adjective was seen as at least semi derogatory. It was jumbled in with all the other derogatory ethnic names that kicked around in common usage at the time. Mick, spic, etc. Damn near every kid I knew was one thing or another.

A friend of mine who had strong Polish heritage was stunned when the Canucks team name was announced as they joined the NHL. I remember him bellowing out: "For Christ's sake! What's the next team going to be called? The Warsaw Polacks?" That's the context I grew up with (being a Mick myself). The name was seen as a perplexing shock at the time, as there was a push going on to clean up all the ethnic name usage, regardless of how mean-spirited (or not) it was.

More recently, the vibe I get from some Canadians is: "Yeah, Canuck is a name. We can use it. You can't." So I'm content to leave it alone, except when it regards the hockey team.

posted by beaverboard at 06:49 PM on July 02

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Proud Canadian here, Canuck is simply generic slang referring to a Canadian citizen. It has never been associated with any particular racial or ethnic background. We refer to folks from Quebec as "Quebecois" and "Newfies" are people from Newfoundland. None of these terms are considered demeaning in any way unless combined with an additional "dumb, stupid,etc."

There was a short lived comic series "Captain Canuck" about a super hero.

posted by cixelsyd at 12:11 PM on July 02

Patriots Sign Cam Newton to 1-Year Deal

The irony of Newton leaving after last season is that he wasn't being overused on the run any more. Christian McCaffrey had finally given the Panthers a running option better than the QB but Newton wasn't able to enjoy it.

posted by rcade at 07:08 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Happy Canada Day to all. Since I'm half Canadian from my Nova Scotian dad, I feel qualified to offer a half (assed) opinion on the term "Canuck". Here in New England it was only an ethnic pejorative when used with an adjective (dumb, stupid, crazy, etc.), and referring to a francophonic person. This was true back in my younger, drunker, stupider high school days when one of my buddies was of French Canadian descent, and he never seemed upset by it. He was also big enough to beat the crap out of most of us, so it was probably ok with him. Of late I have not heard the term used, so there's no reaction to it.

posted by Howard_T at 01:26 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

That's an apples to oranges comparison. Unless "Canuck" is a racial slur

posted by NoMich at 12:24 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

The Mets specialize in albatrosses.

Bernie Madoff will die in prison long before the final installment is paid to Bonilla.

And while Canada Day is being celebrated, a question that has popped into my mind once or twice:

With all the renaming of places and things and tearing down of statues going on here in the US, if the Washington NFL team gets renamed, would some people eventually demand that the Vancouver Canucks change their name?

posted by beaverboard at 12:07 PM on July 01

SportsFilter: The Wednesday Huddle

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day! (15 years to go!)

And, a Happy Canada Day as well !

posted by tommytrump at 10:39 AM on July 01

Patriots Sign Cam Newton to 1-Year Deal

Newton is an immensely talented athlete who was completely overworked in Carolina. He's the type of guy you do want to run because of his size and speed, but you'd prefer that to be situation limited similar to how Russell Wilson and Kaepernick are/were used. Newton was Carolina's primary running option, including pretty much every short yardage situation. There are RBs in the league that endured less abuse. Put him in the right offense, use his skills properly, and he's solid ... if he hasn't been damaged beyond repair.

posted by cixelsyd at 02:58 PM on June 30

Patriots Sign Cam Newton to 1-Year Deal

If Newton wants to wear #1, he'll have to play on special teams - so say fans of Tony Franklin and John Smith. In the pre-Belichick era, the Pats were a barefootin', snowblowin' bunch.

If Cam does well and they want to keep him on, they can pay more next year once the Brady dead cap hit is gone.

If he gets signed away by another team after 2020, the Pats will get one more of those juicy comp picks that have been a key part of their rostering strategy.

If he fails miserably, he'll still be better off than Albert Haynesworth.

posted by beaverboard at 01:36 PM on June 30

What the Hell, Bill Simmons?

It seems like a serious breach of ethics to slam an idea that you were privately pitching to ESPN. It's also a breach to not disclose your attempted involvement in the broadcast, especially if it involved any money.

posted by rcade at 05:18 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Monday Huddle

Baseball players starting to opt out for the year. The Nats' Ryan Zimmerman is one of them

posted by NoMich at 04:43 PM on June 29

Liverpool win Premier League: Reds' 30-year wait for top-flight title ends

I've worn a different Liverpool shirt every day since the Chelsea/City match. It would feel more like dreamland if we didn't have several months to brace for it and had already been running away with it to begin with. Still seems a bit surreal. Time to design my next tattoo. UP THE REDS!!!

posted by Ricardo at 03:17 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

This looks to be a win-win. The Patriots don't have anything to lose by bringing in Cam on a 1 year deal and if Cam is truly healthy, buys into the Hoodie's playbook, keeps that chip on his shoulder and plays like the 2015 version of Cam Newton and doesn't get hurt, the sky's the limit.

posted by BornIcon at 02:41 PM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Apparently his contract max is $7.5 million. That is a complete no-brainer for the Pats as he will be hitting that value in no time at all. Damn, I'm going to miss him not being in a Panthers uni .

posted by NoMich at 12:51 PM on June 29

Women's World Cup 2023

lol@me again

posted by billsaysthis at 10:59 AM on June 29

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I must be the last Patriots fan to have heard this. I said something to my wife as I read the post, and she said she had heard about it a while ago. Thanks for the information, Gail. It should become apparent fairly soon between camp and preseason just how much Newton has left. What they will do with the offense with him in there will be interesting too. It could well be that there is a good degree of similarity between Newton and Stidham. Now that Newton is not as fast as he once was, he and Stidham could be interchangeable in an offense that features tight ends, fullbacks as receivers, and a power running game built around sets with 1 or 2 wide receivers. Look for Stidham to be starting by week 8 or 9, after Newton is carried off the field.

posted by Howard_T at 12:03 AM on June 29

Women's World Cup 2023

Launceston is in Tasmania (the South Island). Looks like it will indeed host some group games.

But if you want to drive there from here in Sydney, it's about 9 hours to Melbourne, then an overnight ferry crossing of Bass Strait in the middle of winter, then a short drive from Devonport. Or you could fly direct in about 90 minutes.

The matches will also be held in the middle of AFL season, so you could catch some games of that, too.

posted by owlhouse at 11:11 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

I saw the story break on CNN online just when a nasty storm line was rolling through the area, so when my wife heard me say "Oh, Fuck!", she thought I was commenting on the severe weather.

She had no idea I was reacting to the news that Cam Newton had signed with the Patriots.

It's a Belichick-friendly one year deal, but still, who in the Foxborobunker thinks Newton is a good bet to buy into the team's approach, and where would he have suddenly gotten the required mental toughness?

Versatility memo to Cam at 6'5", 245 lbs.:

1) James Develin just retired.

2) During the 2020 bye week, you may be tucked in with the LB's and safeties watching Lamar Jackson game film. Any questions, call 1-800-DAVID-FULCHER.

3) Amazon is releasing a new children's book entitled "Steve's Daddy Has Three Tight Ends".

4) Josh McDaniels has been waiting a long time to run the Philly Philly. The previous QB ran like he'd stepped into two buckets of paint at the line of scrimmage.

posted by beaverboard at 09:35 PM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Sunday Huddle

Congratulations to the next Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots. They just signed Cam Newton to a one-year deal.

posted by NoMich at 09:00 PM on June 28

What the Hell, Bill Simmons?

The Celtics recently did a webinar for season ticket members with Bill Simmons and his Dad. They mostly did recollections of their time as season ticket holders, but Simmons is a very funny guy. Because of the webinar I began re-reading his The Book of Basketball, paperback edition, which has some material that's not in the earlier hardcover. The TV business is his thing. He was a writer for Jimmy Kimmel after his ESPN gig. I know that he is a sarcastic sob from his comments in the book, but I didn't know about the "Decision" thing. It sounds like something he would do, more from self-promotion than from a standpoint of producing entertainment.

posted by Howard_T at 05:17 PM on June 28

The Seattle Freecaps!

posted by NoMich at 11:41 AM on June 28

Liverpool win Premier League: Reds' 30-year wait for top-flight title ends

The usual summer friendlies in the US and Asia are not happening this year. And since Liverpool are not playing in the final 8 of the Champions League and because they have a chance to make a new season points haul record I don't expect too much rotation.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:17 AM on June 28

Women's World Cup 2023

I thought it was on your little island, my bad. I thought for sure Tasmania was going to be the site for some group stage games.

posted by billsaysthis at 11:14 AM on June 28

What the Hell, Bill Simmons?

Simmons is a bright, knowledgeable, talented guy, but at times is a bit too pleased with himself and the glow of his presence on the scene. Comes with the territory I suppose.

Poor Ohio sports fans - imagine their shock at being made uncomfortable by a Michigan native.

posted by beaverboard at 10:30 AM on June 28

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Seattle "Gooeyducks" for the geoduck clams in Puget Sound.

posted by Howard_T at 08:03 PM on June 27

Seattle Kraken!

posted by tommytrump at 03:40 PM on June 27

Seattle Kraken!

posted by rcade at 11:33 AM on June 27

Women's World Cup 2023

About as far as New York is from Chicago. :-)

posted by owlhouse at 07:26 PM on June 26

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Rain water for ice? Well, at least there's plenty of that in Seattle. I'm not sure that having fans bring in water is a good idea. It might go something like,

USHER: Sir, do you have some water for us tonight.

FAN: Let me finish 3 or 4 beers and I'll get right on it.

Something about natural gas in arenas is familiar. TD Garden on a Saturday night after everyone has had the traditional supper of beans and frankfurters is a great example.

How about calling the team the Chiefs. After all, Seattle is named after Chief Seattle, so that works. Problem is they will be accused of cultural appropriation, so that's out. Maybe Olympics, for the peninsula of that name, or the Cascades after the mountains. (Colorado used this idea for a baseball team, so maybe not.)

posted by Howard_T at 05:27 PM on June 26

Liverpool win Premier League: Reds' 30-year wait for top-flight title ends

will some star players now do "load management"

With no playoffs ahead, there's really no reason to rest anyone. The latter half of summer is the time for training camp and friendlies. Teams often travel to play in front of their overseas fans, but the top stars will see limited minutes in these. Perhaps there might be some restriction of minutes for some, but it's more likely for injury avoidance than for rest.

posted by Howard_T at 05:20 PM on June 26

Liverpool win Premier League: Reds' 30-year wait for top-flight title ends

I am a casual fan of EPL (at best), as I try to follow and support MLS's growth in the states. As Liverpool has clinched the championship, will some star players now do "load management" similar to how NBA players take a couple games off per season?

posted by FLsportsman at 03:51 PM on June 26

MLB owners and players agree to a 60-game 2020 season

So, on the new rules for this season, do we think the universal DH or the runner on 2nd for extra innings are one-and-done or here to stay?

I miss sports as much as anyone around here, but in addition to FLsportsman's concern, I'm also skeptical that the US will pull off any sustained sporting activities this year, as we don't appear to have the collective attention span or commitment to stick to the required COVID-19 measures. I'd very much like to be proven wrong on that.

posted by bender at 01:37 PM on June 26

posted by bender at 01:31 PM on June 26

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

For those of us who won't get past the Globe and Mail paywall: Climate Pledge Arena.

Sounds like a hell of a concept. I hope they pull it off with flying colors!

posted by tahoemoj at 12:54 PM on June 26

Liverpool win Premier League: Reds' 30-year wait for top-flight title ends

ROFL: Has anyone seen @GNev2? #WheresGary pic.twitter.com/MSNoSaBdwD

— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) June 25, 2020

posted by billsaysthis at 11:27 AM on June 26

Women's World Cup 2023

How close do you live to Launceston?

posted by billsaysthis at 11:24 AM on June 26

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Very enjoyable hockey highlights. What are those green uniforms?

(former Hartford rez)

posted by beaverboard at 09:10 AM on June 26

MLB owners and players agree to a 60-game 2020 season

I loathe thinking this, but I would be surprised if the planned MLB "regular season" does not get cut short due to public pressure if Covid19 x regular seasonal flu hits hard in a couple months.

posted by FLsportsman at 11:11 PM on June 25

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

The two best Finns in the game and, thankfully, they play for my team. Yay!

posted by NoMich at 10:49 PM on June 25

SportsFilter: The Thursday Huddle

Very cool idea. I hope it works exactly as planned

posted by NoMich at 10:49 PM on June 25

Seattle's NHL team to play at Climate Pledge Arena

posted by tommytrump at 09:38 PM on June 25

Liverpool win Premier League: Reds' 30-year wait for top-flight title ends

Well done, Reds. I watched the interview with Klopp after the game, and it was interesting to see what really matters to him. It was all about the players and the fans. I can understand why the players buy into his system and play so hard for him. I'm not sure of this, but wouldn't this be the latest that a championship has been clinched as well as the earliest. I speak of the calendar, not the number of games remaining. By this time of year the pre-season friendlies are only a few weeks away.

posted by Howard_T at 08:25 PM on June 25

Vince Carter officially announces his retirement

Saw his last in Boston in February. Although he had not announced his retirement at the time, most of us sensed that it was close to the end. The basketball fans (as opposed to Celtics fans) in the stands gave him a nice round of applause. One cannot consider him one of the greats, but he certainly deserves credit for being one of the 'very good' and for giving the game his best for a long, long time.

posted by Howard_T at 03:58 PM on June 25

Vince Carter officially announces his retirement

Arguably the greatest dunker of all time, and one of the prime reasons for basketball's popularity in Canada. He left Toronto on bad terms, but recent years has shown a mellowing out of anger towards him by Toronto fans. It's likely his number will be retired by the Raptors in the future (but probably AFTER Kyle Lowry's number).

posted by grum@work at 01:45 PM on June 25